Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Down the Henna Path

I've never been artistic. Or crafty. I learned how to knit. I learned how to crochet. At Christmas, we created 'things'. Not things I ever enjoyed. I pretended to enjoy it when I was a kid. To be respectful to the adults who were showing me. But once I became an adult, I felt free to say, "nope, not for me."

When I became ... 'older',  I felt the need to have the hair color of my youth. I discovered henna. When researching henna, it is impossible to separate henna for hair from henna tattoos. The designs I was seeing were appealing.  In fact, they were similar to the things I doodle when I'm on the phone. Much more elaborate, of course, but definitely similar.

I thought I just might be able to draw henna designs if I tried. So I did. And after a VERY short little while (a day or two) I found that I could, in fact, draw henna designs fairly well. And you know what? I liked it.

I have now hennaed my hair, my toenails, used a bleach medium to impart henna designs on fabric, and henna tattooed myself.  I'm trying some henna on an old leather shoe as we speak, just to see what it will do. I love henna. I love drawing designs. I am motivated to become really good at henna tattoos.

I am, quite frankly, stunned at myself. How is it that at my age, I have suddenly become artistic? Enjoy the pictures of my journey so far.


















No comments:

Post a Comment